Terms and Conditions of Fair Use
The term Science Buddies, "us" or "we" refers to Science Buddies, the owner of this website (which includes Career Discovery) The term "you" refers to you, as a User, Student or Viewer of our website.
- The public portions of this website are provided for potential Users.
- School staff may invite students to participate in Career Discovery directly through individual accounts.
- Parents and guardians are permitted to share their accounts directly with their children to the extent they see fit.
- You may need to download additional software from third parties to view aspects of our website; if so, your use of such software will be governed by your agreement with those parties.
- Users are entirely responsible for the actions of Students. We will enable you to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) by appropriately limiting how we use Student data and by following your instructions with respect to the treatment of Student data.
The general terms of each subscription plan or free trial are available at https://careerdiscovery.sciencebuddies.org/account/sign-up.
By registering for a free trial, you consent to our contacting you to follow up on your experience with Career Discovery and potential purchase of a paid license.
Plans paid with a credit card:
- By providing your credit card to pay for a paid plan, you agree to pay us the fees indicated for that plan.
- Payments will be charged on the day you sign up for a service and will cover the use of that service for the time period specified for the requested plan.
- Subscription fees are non-refundable, though a subscription can be canceled anytime. If you cancel your subscription, you will have access until your next billing date and will not be billed again.
You may not use our website or the Content in any of the following ways:
- for any commercial purpose without our prior express permission;
- in a manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair our servers or networks;
- by obtaining unauthorized access;
- using any automated tools, scrapers, robots, data mining or similar data gathering or extraction tools; or
- that infringes the rights of any third party, including the intellectual property of any third party.
- You may not post Usernames or Passwords on any website. You may only post class codes and activation links on password protected websites accessible by only your school community. They may not be posted on public websites.
- You are responsible for ensuring that Students comply with these usage terms.
Intellectual Property and License
- We provide (or may at some point provide) data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags, or other materials ("Content") to you.
- As between you and us, we own the Content and any improvements to the Content.
- The plans we offer specify what Content you can access, who may access the Content through you and the number and/or type of devices you may use to access the Content.
- We grant to you (and, where applicable, your Students) a non-exclusive license to view and display the Content for only so long as we make it available to you under your plan through the website.
- With the exception of certain worksheets, quizzes and lesson plans which are clearly labeled as being intended for download, under no circumstances do you acquire the right to view any of the Content other than through our website, or to download or copy the Content, no matter what plan you subscribe to.
- We reserve the right to change the Content we make available to particular Users or Students at any time, at our sole discretion.
- If you provide any suggestions for Content or improvements to Content or our website, you grant us a royalty free, non-exclusive, perpetual irrevocable, worldwide non-exclusive license to use, copy, display, and modify those suggestions in any manner we choose.
- We provide the Content in the hope that it will be educational and appropriate for a wide range of learners. You must determine during your trial period and thereafter whether the Content (and which Content) meets your needs and those of your learners.
- We don’t guarantee that the website will be continuously operational, and we assume no liability relating to interruptions in your use of our website or errors in the Content.
- Accordingly, this website and all Content is provided on an "as is" basis, and your use (and Students’ use) of this website and the Content is at your and their own risk, without warranties of any kind, express, statutory or implied, including without limitation any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement.
- We disclaim any warranty or liability for the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the Content and any information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Limitation of Liability
- Neither Science Buddies nor any of its officers, directors, employees, partners, agents, affiliates or licensors are liable to you or any other person for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of or relating to your use of our website or Content.
- If you are not currently a User under a paid plan with Career Discovery, your sole and exclusive remedy for our negligence or breach of these terms shall be for you to discontinue your use of our website and Content.
- If you are a User under a paid plan with Career Discovery, our maximum liability to you (for any claim whatsoever, including direct claims or claims for indemnification) shall be the aggregate amount that you paid us within the prior 12 months.
- If any of the foregoing limits are not enforceable under applicable law, then they shall be construed to provide such limits to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.
- From time to time, this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse such websites and you waive all claims against us from your use of such websites.
You agree to indemnify us and our officers, directors, employees, partners, agents, affiliates and licensors from all liabilities, claims, and expenses, including attorneys' fees, that arise from your use or misuse of our website and Content. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to your indemnification, in which event you will cooperate with us in asserting any available defenses.
- These Terms Use and your use of this website and the Content will be governed by the law of the state of California.
- This means that you may not bring a claim anywhere else, and that claims against you may be brought in Santa Clara County, California. You may not subsequently argue that Santa Clara County, California is not a convenient forum for you.
- Notices to Science Buddies should be sent to:
560 Valley Way
Milpitas, CA 95035
Effective Date: August 1, 2021