Overview and Key Facts
Doctoral or professional degree
(Above US Average)
Jobs in 2029
What Do They Do?A physicist could...
Develop clean, unlimited fusion energy.
Design a laser to fix people's vision problems.
Research maglev technology to prototype high speed trains.
Simulate a roller coaster ride on a computer.
Listen to this section
Physicists have a big goal in mind—to understand the nature of the entire universe and everything in it! To reach that goal, they observe and measure natural events seen on Earth and in the universe, and then develop theories, using mathematics, to explain why those phenomena occur. Physicists take on the challenge of explaining events that happen on the grandest scale imaginable to those that happen at the level of the smallest atomic particles. Their theories are then applied to human-scale projects to bring people new technologies, like computers, lasers, and fusion energy.
Listen to this section
Do You Have the Skills and Characteristics of a Physicist?
- Science: ? Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Reading Comprehension: ? Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Mathematics: ? Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Speaking: ? Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking: ? Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing: ? Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening: ? Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning: ? Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Complex Problem Solving: ? Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Learning Strategies: ? Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Core TasksThink about if you'd like the typical tasks a Physicist might do:
- Perform complex calculations as part of the analysis and evaluation of data, using computers.
- Analyze data from research conducted to detect and measure physical phenomena.
- Describe and express observations and conclusions in mathematical terms.
- Design computer simulations to model physical data so that it can be better understood.
- Write research proposals to receive funding.
- Teach physics to students.
- Report experimental results by writing papers for scientific journals or by presenting information at scientific conferences.
Please create a free account to view this career and access our full library of over 160 STEM careers.
With a free account you will have access to our full library of over 160 STEM careers. Each career profile includes detailed information to help you learn about a career and the requirements to get there. You can explore:
- salary information by state
- recommended high school coursework
- fun projects and activities to test out a career
- videos and interviews with professionals in the field
- details on what a day on the job is like