Precision Instrument & Equipment Repairer
Overview and Key Facts
Jobs in 2029
What Do They Do?A precision instrument and equipment repairer could...
Fix the hydraulic lift on a dentist's chair.
Save a tourist's vacation by fixing a broken camera.
Repair damaged musical instruments for orchestra players.
Help save a patient's life by making sure that a defibrillator is working.
Listen to this section
One of the basic truths in the universe is that objects tend to go from a state of higher organization to a state of lower organization over time. In other words, things break down, and when those things are precision instruments or equipment, they require the services of very specialized technicians to restore them to their working order. Precision instrument or equipment technicians often combine a love of music, medicine, electronics, or antiques with delicate mechanical repair work.
Listen to this section
Do You Have the Skills and Characteristics of a Precision Instrument & Equipment Repairer?
- Mechanical Aptitude: ? Understanding and predicting how objects relate in three dimensions
- Fine Motor Skills: ? Working accurately with your fingers and hands on detailed items
- Hands-on Work: ? Enjoying working with your hands
- Equipment Maintenance: ? Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed
- Focus: ? Having the ability to work on one task for a long period of time
Core TasksThink about if you'd like the typical tasks a Precision Instrument & Equipment Repairer might do:
- Assembles parts and sub-assemblies of precision instruments and locks, timepieces and firearms.
- Dismantles precision instruments, locks, timepieces and firearms, repairing and replaces defective parts, and reassembles articles using hand and power tools and specially designed machines.
- Calibrates precision instruments using standard weights and measures, jigs and fixtures, and hand tools to adjust and align parts and small balancing weights.
- May estimate costs and prepare quotes for repairs.
Please create a free account to view this career and access our full library of over 160 STEM careers.
With a free account you will have access to our full library of over 160 STEM careers. Each career profile includes detailed information to help you learn about a career and the requirements to get there. You can explore:
- salary information by state
- recommended high school coursework
- fun projects and activities to test out a career
- videos and interviews with professionals in the field
- details on what a day on the job is like