Overview and Key Facts
Doctoral or professional degree
Jobs in 2029
What Do They Do?A chiropractor could...
Help adjust an athlete's spinal alignment so he or she can perform at the top of his or her game.
Use x-rays to determine if a patient's back pain is due to misaligned vertebrae.
Adjust a patient's spinal alignment to relieve back pain after a car accident.
Help patients stay active and healthy by treating pains and advising proper exercise.
Listen to this section
Some patients prefer to treat certain medical problems without the use of medications, surgery, or other traditional therapies. Chiropractors diagnose and treat problems involving the muscles, skeleton, and nervous system using alternative therapies, such as manipulation of the spine and joints, acupuncture, massage, bracing, and heat therapy. They also counsel patients on how to achieve good overall health through diet, exercise, stress management, and rest. They try to treat the patient as a whole.
Listen to this section
Do You Have the Skills and Characteristics of a Chiropractor?
- Active Listening: ? Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking: ? Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension: ? Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking: ? Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness: ? Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Writing: ? Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Complex Problem Solving: ? Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Service Orientation: ? Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Judgment and Decision Making: ? Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Learning: ? Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Core TasksThink about if you'd like the typical tasks a Chiropractor might do:
- Evaluate the functioning of the neuromuscularskeletal system and the spine using systems of chiropractic diagnosis.
- Diagnose health problems by reviewing patients' health and medical histories, questioning, observing, and examining patients and interpreting x-rays.
- Perform a series of manual adjustments to the spine or other articulations of the body to correct the musculoskeletal system.
- Obtain and record patients' medical histories.
- Maintain accurate case histories of patients.
- Advise patients about recommended courses of treatment.
- Analyze x-rays to locate the sources of patients' difficulties and to rule out fractures or diseases as sources of problems.
- Counsel patients about nutrition, exercise, sleeping habits, stress management, or other matters.
- Consult with or refer patients to appropriate health practitioners when necessary.
- Recommend and arrange for diagnostic procedures, such as blood chemistry tests, saliva tests, x-rays, or other imaging procedures.
- Suggest and apply the use of supports such as straps, tapes, bandages, or braces if necessary.
Please create a free account to view this career and access our full library of over 160 STEM careers.
With a free account you will have access to our full library of over 160 STEM careers. Each career profile includes detailed information to help you learn about a career and the requirements to get there. You can explore:
- salary information by state
- recommended high school coursework
- fun projects and activities to test out a career
- videos and interviews with professionals in the field
- details on what a day on the job is like