Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technician
Overview and Key Facts
(Above US Average)
Jobs in 2029
What Do They Do?A medical or clinical laboratory technician could...
Prepare tissue sample slides and examine them under a microscope to check for signs of disease.
Ensure a fair competition by testing athletes' urine for performance-enhancing drugs.
Measure cholesterol levels to determine if a person is at increased risk for heart disease.
Identify the bacteria causing a patient's infection so that his or her doctor can prescribe the right antibiotic.
Listen to this section
Doctors need information to decide if a person is healthy or sick, if a baby's earache is bacterial or viral, or if the man next door needs medication to lower his cholesterol and prevent a heart attack. The information often comes in the form of results from lab tests. Medical and clinical laboratory technicians are the people who perform these routine medical laboratory tests, giving the doctors the information needed to diagnose, treat, and prevent disease.
Listen to this section
Do You Have the Skills and Characteristics of a Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technician?
- Active Listening: ? Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension: ? Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking: ? Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking: ? Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Science: ? Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Writing: ? Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Quality Control Analysis: ? Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Complex Problem Solving: ? Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Time Management: ? Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring: ? Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Core TasksThink about if you'd like the typical tasks a Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technician might do:
- Conduct chemical analyses of body fluids, such as blood or urine, using microscope or automatic analyzer to detect abnormalities or diseases and enter findings into computer.
- Analyze the results of tests or experiments to ensure conformity to specifications, using special mechanical or electrical devices.
- Set up, maintain, calibrate, clean, and test sterility of medical laboratory equipment.
- Prepare standard volumetric solutions or reagents to be combined with samples, following standardized formulas or experimental procedures.
- Collect blood or tissue samples from patients, observing principles of asepsis to obtain blood sample.
- Supervise or instruct other technicians or laboratory assistants.
Please create a free account to view this career and access our full library of over 160 STEM careers.
With a free account you will have access to our full library of over 160 STEM careers. Each career profile includes detailed information to help you learn about a career and the requirements to get there. You can explore:
- salary information by state
- recommended high school coursework
- fun projects and activities to test out a career
- videos and interviews with professionals in the field
- details on what a day on the job is like