Information Security Analyst
Overview and Key Facts
Jobs in 2031
What Do They Do?An information security analyst could...
Overview Listen to this sectionHave you ever seen a story on the news about how a company or government agency was "hacked" and people's personal information, like names, addresses, or credit card numbers, was stolen? It is an information security analyst's job to prevent that from happening. Organizations hire information security analysts to analyze possible threats against their computer systems, which can range from malicious hackers trying to steal data to careless employees who accidentally forget to log out of a computer. They then make plans to prevent these threats and to deal with them when they arise. This is an exciting career for those who want to keep up with the constantly changing world of computers and the Internet.
Do You Have the Skills and Characteristics of an Information Security Analyst?
- Reading Comprehension: ? Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking: ? Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening: ? Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving: ? Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking: ? Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing: ? Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Judgment and Decision Making: ? Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Systems Analysis: ? Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Monitoring: ? Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Learning: ? Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Core TasksThink about if you'd like the typical tasks an Information Security Analyst might do:
- Develop plans to safeguard computer files against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure and to meet emergency data processing needs.
- Monitor current reports of computer viruses to determine when to update virus protection systems.
- Encrypt data transmissions and erect firewalls to conceal confidential information as it is being transmitted and to keep out tainted digital transfers.
- Perform risk assessments and execute tests of data processing system to ensure functioning of data processing activities and security measures.
- Modify computer security files to incorporate new software, correct errors, or change individual access status.
- Review violations of computer security procedures and discuss procedures with violators to ensure violations are not repeated.
- Confer with users to discuss issues such as computer data access needs, security violations, and programming changes.
- Document computer security and emergency measures policies, procedures, and tests.
- Monitor use of data files and regulate access to safeguard information in computer files.
- Coordinate implementation of computer system plan with establishment personnel and outside vendors.
- Train users and promote security awareness to ensure system security and to improve server and network efficiency.
Please create a free account to view this career and access our full library of over 160 STEM careers.
With a free account you will have access to our full library of over 160 STEM careers. Each career profile includes detailed information to help you learn about a career and the requirements to get there. You can explore:
- salary information by state
- recommended high school coursework
- fun projects and activities to test out a career
- videos and interviews with professionals in the field
- details on what a day on the job is like